We’ve compiled a list possible sites where you can research various conditions. This list is in no way exhaustive. Together Patient Advocates does not recommend or endorse any of these sites or organizations and we are not responsible for the accuracy of the content on these pages. When accessing information on the internet, we recommend that you only use reputable sites.
- National Association of Healthcare Advocacy Consultants Search their directory of advocates, review the advocacy codes of ethics, or listen to free podcasts.
- AdvoConnection Site devoted to patient advocacy, includes resources on services, advocate directory, etc.
- Campaign Zero Invaluable checklists that you can use to improve your safety in the hospital.
- “How Doctor’s Think” by Dr. Jerome Groopman This book is a must-read for every patient with a chronic condition. Dr. Groopman does an excellent job exploring the common cognitive errors made by physicians and highlights simple questions patients can ask to help avoid these thinking traps.
- New York Times article on patient advocates
- Advanced Healthcare Network article on patient advocates
- Patient Decision Aids The Ottawa Hospital developed decision aids to assist with many conditions. This is a great site to review when facing a difficult decision.
- Saje Well Now Podcast "Trust Your Instincts" includes three stories related to advocacy.
These are trusted medical resources for a variety of conditions.
- American Academy of Family Physicians Allows home triage of many common ailments.
- Mayo Clinic Disease summaries from arguably the top hospital in the US.
- Uptodate Enter search topic, on results click on ”patient free.” The physician subscription service is used by physicians everywhere. Their free patient handouts are detailed and link to evidence based guidelines.
- Web MD
American College of Cardiology ACC guidelines for cardiac conditions
Leukemia and Lymphoma
Rheumatologic Conditions (Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, etc)